[clug] Monitors that swivel

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:52:19 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:
> once I ditch RHEL5 I should be able to just
> install $DISTRO_OF_CHOICE

As any sane person (ahem) might. :-)

Debian? Arch? Gentoo? LFS?

Hal wrote:
> Maybe it did back in the days of CRTs and scan lines but I don't know what I'm talking about there even more
> than normal.

Back in my Panasonic days, a factory engineer visited Australia to
show us gaijin how to service a lovely new model of $3500 21" CRT
monitor. He duly downloaded the latest firmware from the factory and
showed us how to flash it. Then he powered up the monitor and with a
big bang, the blue smoke escaped. Seems the file he copied was all
zeros and when that controls the horizontal output stage, nastiness
ensues.

No spares in the country at that time so the monitor was toast and we
had to take him out to introduce him to Australian beer.

--
MC