[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 4 00:41:07 GMT 2009

Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 18:14:18 +1000, Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>> If you're new to Linux, or just thinking about it, I would love you to
>> head over there and vote on what you think about a series of independent
>> Linux absolute beginner courses:
>>
>> http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com/2009/05/linux-n00bs.html
>
> As a perennial Noobie, I attempted to follow this request and confirmed to
> the hilt that my own request is reasonable.
>
> I am looking for <advice|documentation> on installing broadband; and
> attempting to access the suggested URL was woefully slow (by Linux
> standards) when I use a 56k modem.
>
> One of the reason why I have desisted from jumping on the "broadband
> bandwagon" was the routine response from broadband providers, which is:
>
>  "we do not support Linux - {code for we know nothing about Linux)".
>
> I am aware that "whirlpool" has all the info that anyone could possibly
> wish for.  A guided tour for "beginners with minimal requirements" would
> help.
>
> For the record, I have been using Debian for about 4 years and use DVDs to
> "dist-upgrade" my setup.  My only non-Debian package is the Opera browser
> (which comes as a .deb file).
>
> Felix Karpfen

Sorry for the late response. I am not aware of any ISP or Broadband
service in Australia that can't, easily, be made to work with Linux.
Just 'cause the yr. 11 students most of the ISPs employ to run their
help desk have never heard of Linux doesn't mean that there is anything
particularly hard about getting Linux to work.

If I were you, Felix, pick any ISP that you wish (some on this list
can give advice on good and bad ISPs based on other issues than Linux
knowledge) and then, if you need help, ask here and we can/will help
you.

In most cases, the ADSL/ADSL2 line will terminate in a dedicated ADSL
Modem/router box and all that is left to do is to point a web browser
at that box and set up your username and password etc. That can be
done from any O/S which supports a web-browser. If you want to be
_really_ cautious and follow the ISPs instructions, you can set up
your Modem/router using a Windoze box and then use it from your Linux
machine(s) - they won't mind...

My advice, go with a provider you are comfortable with and ask us
here for help if you need it.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.