[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Tue Jun 2 21:11:44 GMT 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 18:14:18 +1000, Lana Brindley wrote:

> If you're new to Linux, or just thinking about it, I would love you to
> head over there and vote on what you think about a series of independent
> Linux absolute beginner courses:
>
> http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com/2009/05/linux-n00bs.html

As a perennial Noobie, I attempted to follow this request and confirmed to
the hilt that my own request is reasonable.

I am looking for <advice|documentation> on installing broadband; and
attempting to access the suggested URL was woefully slow (by Linux
standards) when I use a 56k modem.

One of the reason why I have desisted from jumping on the "broadband
bandwagon" was the routine response from broadband providers, which is:

 "we do not support Linux - {code for we know nothing about Linux)".

I am aware that "whirlpool" has all the info that anyone could possibly
wish for.  A guided tour for "beginners with minimal requirements" would
help.

For the record, I have been using Debian for about 4 years and use DVDs to
"dist-upgrade" my setup.  My only non-Debian package is the Opera browser
(which comes as a .deb file).

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen