[clug] HAL, DBUS and co.

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:42:47 GMT 2009

Hi all,

Does anyone know a "clean" way to make a machine automagically mount
USB HDD's (by label as per gnome-volume-manager in /media/<label>)
when no user is logged in?

This would insinuate that you have to add things to /etc/fstab which
seems strange to me, surely something could be added to
/etc/udev/rules.d/ that knows the name of the disk?

   http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/17785.html

Other thoughts revolve around cron running every 5 minutes and
checking the output of blkid or the likes and mounting things when it
finds them.

Thanks

PS: I want this for an "auto" backup thing on a server. Non-techie
user plugs a 1TB external disk into machine once every week, waits
until blinking flashing light goes off and then removes said disk.
I'll probably do the backup itself via amanda. Note that in this
scenario there will be more than one disk and they could be rotated
amongst various machines. Clearly the label is going to have to be
something esoteric or perhaps I'll do it via UUID.