[clug] Mono in Linux

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 08:01:15 GMT 2009

On 02/06/2009, at 16:47 , Francis Markham wrote:

> The problem with that argument is C# is not a proprietary programming
> language.  C# is an ECMA-standard.  .NET is a proprietary
> implementation of that standard, Mono is an open source
> implementation.

The ECMA standard covers the syntax and vocabulary of the language
itself, and perhaps some indication of the binary interface to
libraries compiled using the language.

I expect that all those submarine patents Microsoft has in the
background cover the (internal workings of the) frameworks, which is
what you're really interested in when you're programming in dotNet or
Mono.

For more writing about the concept of C#-the-standard versus dotNet-
the-framework, read this article: http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html

Alex
PS: That's "C#" pronounced "C-hash". Or "C-pound" if you're American.