[clug] Mono in Linux

Francis Markham fmarkham at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:47:20 GMT 2009

> Sure, maybe we don't care about using Windows Forms or whatever, but
> we're still programming in a proprietary programming language, that
> Microsoft wants (and is) extracting royalties from.

The problem with that argument is C# is not a proprietary programming
language.  C# is an ECMA-standard.  .NET is a proprietary
implementation of that standard, Mono is an open source
implementation.

While Mono's implementation may be infringing on unknown patents, so
may GCJ/GCC/spidermonkey/<insert-favourite-language-implementation-here>.
  You still fail to explain exactly how mono is so different.