[clug] Mono in Linux

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Tue Jun 2 03:59:21 GMT 2009

Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:

>> Well, hopefully that is now more clear :-) Java is GPL'd so it is much
>> more safe, and like any other open source project. Microsoft's .NET on
>> the other hand, is not.
>>

> I think we are not talking about Microsoft's .NET implementation (I
> have no idea what its license is), but Mono. Mono is provided under
> the GPL license (and LGPL for some parts)
>
> We have a GPL product from Sun (Java) and a GPL product from Novell
> (Mono). From what I can see, the software license has nothing to do
> with how dangerous patents may be that a third party (Microsoft) may
> hold.
Having Java under the GPL means that Sun/Oracle can't sue you for using
Java.
The Mono GPL licence simply means Novell can't sue you, Microsoft still can.

I think there are several possible scenarios you are covering and it's
probably useful to break them up.
(By sue I mean it in a non-legal sense, sue/blackmail/threaten etc.)

1. Microsoft could sue you for using Java.
I'm assuming here that the patents overlap.  I suspect in this case
Sun/Oracle would step in with counter-suits.  One successful case
against a Java user kills Java and I don't think they would let that happen.

2. Microsoft could sue you for using Mono.
This seems to be the fear you are talking about but I've always thought
it very unlikely that they would go directly after the users.  The
TomTom case flies in the face of this though.

3. Microsoft could sue Mono.
I think this is the most likely scenario.  It gets messy because of the
Novell licence allowing Novell developers to use Microsoft patents
safely, but they can't distribute that to non-Novell customers.  It does
seem probable to me that Microsoft could use patents to demand that
certain functionality be removed or not supported by Mono, maybe even
closing the project down.

4. Sun/Oracle could sue you for using .NET or Mono.
I think this is highly unlikely.  Any patent issue with Mono would also
affect .NET which would ensure Microsoft will step in.

So if you look at the options you can see that the only real risk is
from Microsoft suing you or suing Mono.

The thrust of Chris' concerns as I understand them is that Microsoft
could potentially cripple or shut down the Mono project at any time.
This would also shut down anyone from distributing Mono and following on
from that, programs that rely on Mono.

There was some talk a while ago of making Gnome depend on Mono.  It's
these kinds of risks that are causing people to push back against that
and in some cases rewrite Mono based programs.

Given a wide range of languages to base my business or personal
knowledge on, I wouldn't choose a Mono based system.  However others
clearly view the risks to not be an issue or see other compelling
reasons that make the risks worthwhile.

David