[clug] Mono in Linux

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan.osullivan at team.mammoth.com.au
Tue Jun 2 02:44:47 GMT 2009

> Well, hopefully that is now more clear :-) Java is GPL'd so it is much
> more safe, and like any other open source project. Microsoft's .NET on
> the other hand, is not.

I think we are not talking about Microsoft's .NET implementation (I have
no idea what its license is), but Mono. Mono is provided under the GPL
license (and LGPL for some parts)

We have a GPL product from Sun (Java) and a GPL product from Novell
(Mono). From what I can see, the software license has nothing to do with
how dangerous patents may be that a third party (Microsoft) may hold.

Regards
Nathan