[clug] Mono in Linux

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan.osullivan at team.mammoth.com.au
Tue Jun 2 02:13:22 GMT 2009

> I'm no expert, but Java is a little different because it is released
> under the GPLv2, which requires royalty-free distribution. This is one
> of the reasons it took Sun so long to release it under the GPL,
> because some components of Java, such as audio, were owned by external
> stakeholders who refused to release their software under the GPL.

I was making the comment that C# and Java are so similar, that if a
Microsoft patent covers something in C# it almost certainly covers the
same thing in Java.

The GPL licensing of Java just binds Sun's behaviour in relation to
Java, not Microsoft's.

I completely agree that submarine patents are a massive threat to the
entire industry, but I dont see any reason to believe that using Java is
somehow safe when C# is not.

Regards
Nathan