[clug] Ubuntu 8.1 on Toshiba Tecra black screen problem]]

doris ann doris at pcug.org.au
Mon Jun 1 15:44:15 GMT 2009

Hi. Thanks to all for the great advice and pointing me in the right
direction to consider a solution.
My laptop is working again. I took it with me on my overseas trip and
worked on it there. If you are interested in what we did, read on.

I asked my nephew for some help. After considering the symptoms, and
examining that the data signal was reaching the laptop (flashlight onto
the dark screen shows images), looking at inverter connections, checking
wires & connections, he disconnected from power, removed battery,
removed clips, screws, used an anti-static strap, then removed my
laptop's lcd panel.
He then took an lcd panel from a known working laptop, connected it,
reapplied power to my laptop, and checked to ensure a momentary flash of
light from my laptop onto the test lcd. Yes, it flashed on. Then, power
off, that panel disconnected, and back to disassembling my laptop's lcd
panel.
Slowly and with great care, he lifted tape, unplugged connectors,
unsoldered and found a broken CCFL (florescent tube about the thickness
of a piece of spaghetti). It was broken near the soldered end with a
darkened area around the break.
We went to the lcdparts website to order a part, but when he saw that
many laptops use the same tube, he thought he might have a compatible
one from another broken laptop in his supplies.
He returned with a broken laptop and cannibalised the CCFL tube from it.
Carefully removed, and carefully reassembled into my laptop. It works!

Together it was about 4 hours discussing symptoms, looking for parts,
determining problem, intricate disassembly and reassembly.

Cheers,
Doris

--------
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:00:56 +1000
Hello Doris,

> At least I know the signal is getting through to the LCD because it
still shows a dim image when a bright light is shone directly into the
lcd. And I know the problem is NOT the inverter, because I replaced that
already with no improvement.

If you can see an image on the screen when you light it, then it is the
backlight that has failed, not the LCD.  I've had this happen on a
laptop and it was the pinched wires as mentioned by Matt.  But be
careful with these wires as I think the backlight uses a high voltage.
In my case just moving the wires so they reseated or uncrimped fixed it
for a while.

here is a backlight available in the USA with a link to how to install
it (looks tricky to me):
http://www.lcdparts.net/ccflDetail1.aspx?ProductCCFL=MSLTOSHIBA154W

If you work out the part number you need, you maybe able to find it on
ebay or in australia.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LCD-CCFL-BACKLIGHT-LAMP-TOSHIBA-TECRA-A8-15-4-WXGA_W0QQitemZ350139540483QQihZ022QQcategoryZ31569QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Because of the cost of labour, repairers will often replace the whole
screen instead of the backlight - not worth the time for them to
dismantle the screen to put the new backlight in.
regards,
Brenda

-------
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:56:51 +1000
From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com>

2009/5/18 doris ann <doris at pcug.org.au>

> Thank you to Lana, Bob, Hal, Matt, Andrew.

You're very welcome. Please keep us in touch and let us know how you go.
Cheers,
Lana

--------
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:29:34 +1000

Thank you to Lana, Bob, Hal, Matt, Andrew.

In answer,
Andrew, I checked resolutions for monitor - seems ok.
Matt, I checked wires to lcd - nothing pinched or broken - all ok.
Bob, LCD is black all of the time - nothing at power up, nothing in
response to <Ctrl><Alt><F1>/<F7>. I'm using an external monitor.
There's not even a few seconds of washed out red as before.
Lana, I have had the laptop since Feb2007, so it is out of warranty, and
yes, the problem seems likely to be the lcd.
Hal, I'm interested in the unjamming you accomplished with IBM magic
firmware keys, though I don't know if Toshiba has anything like that...

Further -
I tried to remove the back cover on my laptop to see if there were any
lose connections on the mainboard, and I had hoped to reseat video cards
- but a laptop is certainly a different construction to a desktop. It
looks somewhat like two boards sandwiched together with various very
short cables and connections between them. I stopped and reassembled
everything without being able to get to check the video cards and any
other possible lose connections.

I have just finished a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop to rule
out any software induced problems that might have contributed to the
black screen.

Anyway, after all that, I still have a black screen on my laptop. So, I
reluctantly accept Lana's advice that it probably IS an LCD failure.

At least I know the signal is getting through to the LCD because it
still shows a dim image when a bright light is shone directly into the
lcd. And I know the problem is NOT the inverter, because I replaced that
already with no improvement.

So, reluctantly I have to face a hardware repair - a replacement lcd. It
is hard to accept because the laptop has not had rough treatment.

Thanks again,
Doris

------------------
I *think* a couple of years ago I saw backlights stop working on desktop
LCD screens at work when particular high resolution video modes were
selected. Maybe when you were changing settings you also upped the
resolution, or refresh rate?
Andrew.

------------------

Hi Doris,
I have seen this problem occur on a client's Dell laptop before (cannot
remember the exact model).

Same problem description, for a few days prior to the fault occurring,
they noticed the screen "flashing", then finally one morning they
couldn't see anything on the screen.
An external monitor worked fine, but the display was blank - upon closer
inspection, you could *just* make out the display image.

I was able to open the screen surround, and observed that somehow the
two wires that power the LCD backlight had become caught in the opening
mechanism and had been cut, causing the fault.
A repair was ruled out due to the price of laptops being quite low
comparatively, and as it functioned perfectly with an external monitor,
it became a desktop-based laptop.

Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------
This happened to me on FC10 with an IBM T42 equipped with an ATI Radeon
7500 mobility video card just recently.
I thought maybe the backlight was fritzed but it seems fine again now.
It did this accross reboots and the bios screen was also unlight. I
unjammed it with IBM magic firmware keys to turn the backlight off then
on. I don't know if you can do the same with your laptop.
I don't know what caused it, I don't think I was doing anything too
funky with it before the reboot.
You would expect the intel graphics drivers you have to be pretty well
supported given Kieth Packard is amongst the authors....
I'm not sure if that's any help or not.
Best of luck.
Hal

------------------
Hi Doris,
It is not clear, from your detailed description, that the backlight is
working at all. Does it come on at all during the BIOS Power-On Self
Tests (POST)? What if you press <F2> (or whatever) to get into the BIOS
Setup menu - is the backlight on then?

You mentioned that you used "terminal-mode" - was that using a virtual
console (ie. <Ctrl><Alt><F1> etc.)? If so, was the backlight on during
the virtual console session?

 From your description, it sounds to me like the backlight is kaput, but
that may not be the case.
Cheers,
Bob Edwards.

-----------------
Thanks for such a detailed email, you've done a great job, and it
definitely helps us work out where the problem might be.

I'm no expert, but from what you're saying, my call would be a dead LCD
screen. I don't believe that the changes you have made could have caused
this issue, and given that the external display works, it seems as
though the video card and drivers are all OK. It looks as though you've
done most reasonable checks and eliminated the obvious (and some not so
obvious!) issues. How old is the machine? Can you contact Toshiba for a
warranty, or if it's too old, a replacement LCD panel? (I'm not sure how
easy the LCDs are to replace on the Toshibas, I've never attempted it,
but they should be able to advise you).

Does anyone else have other suggestions?
<snip>

Cheers,
Lana