[clug] ABC iview - any joy with linux?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jun 1 02:15:57 GMT 2009

Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:41:54AM +1000, Steve McInerney wrote:
>> Managed to miss Dr Who last night (Major disaster!!!!), and a few
>> recent episodes of TimeTeam - these both covering about 90% of my
>> normal TV watching. ;-)
>>
>> I note that ABC now has this iview thingy, but I've not been able to
>> make it work with Ubuntu 9.04/firefox. Just get a semi blank
>> screen. the speed test etc all fail.
>>
>> Have tried a flush/recreate of my firefox install to no joy.
>>
>> I can (and will if necessary) fail back to my 'doze pc which does work. But
>> I'm not ready to admit defeat just yet.
>>
>> Any tips/pointers from those who have it working?
>
> /me suspects its'a 64bit kernel problem.  Run up a 32-bit VM (you have
> KVM right?) and see if that helps.

Ah.  There is an issue with 64-bit Flash 10, in that it generates the
LAHF series instructions unconditionally.  Windows emulates these, but
Linux doesn't, so the generated native code will fail more or less
randomly on early 64-bit CPUs, on Linux.

No idea if that is related, because there isn't enough information to
determine exactly why things are going wrong, but it is a possible
cause.

Check the kernel messages for invalid instructions. :)

Regards,
        Daniel