[clug] outlook advice

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 03:34:05 MDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:22, Jim Croft<jim.croft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone knowledgeable about such things say something about the
> performance, security (personal and national) and business continuity
> implications of this approach on the scale they are proposing?
>
> I really like the idea of using 'the cloud' at a personal level and
> the physical freedom from technology it might promise.  But is this
> scalable to a work team, an organization, a country?

Well I for one certainly am not knowledgeable about all things but I
do use "the google" for both my own and my SMB's email/calendaring
services.

In my case I was careful to set things up so that if "the google" goes
boom! then I am only missing a paddle for a bit. All our business
email is <name>@business.com.au not my-cool-business at gmail.com and
because I am paranoid I didn't even set the MX record. I just forward
all business mail to gmail and deal with it there meaning I can always
divert it elsewhere if the need arises.

Given that gmail also supports IMAP, I have a local copy of all my
mail that I also backup although I don't see myself having to use this
on a regular basis.

Sad to say I never got organised for my own personal mail as I could
never seem to find an email address/domain that suited me just right
that was "free-ish" or at least so cheap that it was negligible and
ephemeral meaning it would last for the next 40 years. So far (to me)
my @gmail.com address seems to suit this as good as anything.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)