[clug] Fwd: Testing the VFAT patch on a MIYSIS GPS

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 09:23:04 MDT 2009

Sigh, reply to list fail

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ian Munsie <darkstarsword at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: [clug] Testing the VFAT patch on a MIYSIS GPS
To: Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com>

> Well, the nano has no way of seeing files on its filesystem unless its
> database is updated with them. So I copied the FATTEST directory off
> to a linux machine and used Rhythmbox to put the mp3 files back on to
> the iPod. I have no way of knowing what that may have done to the file
> names but it played back 81 mp3 files.

I don't have an iPod myself so I may be making things up here, and
Tridge is of course much more qualified than I to answer this, but the
use case for putting files on an iPod is almost always going to be to
play them on said iPod (occasionally I guess someone might use it for
portable storage, but then the onus is on the computer and not the
iPod to read the filenames anyway). Because the iPods have that
database that maps the files to their mangled filenames than that is
exactly what anyone using the iPod would be doing to get their music
on there - but to test it I think you need to do that with the patch
installed to check the mangled files it creates are OK. Unless it
doesn't create the filenames larger than 8.3 anyway in which case the
patch will create short filenames and all will be dandy.

-I

--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/