[clug] MythTV ABC tuning problem plus multiple capture cards problems

Jeff smee.heee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 03:27:11 MDT 2009

John Brown wrote:
> Problem 1): I have two Technisat AirStar 2 DVB-T PCI cards.
> Individually they both work fine, and both properly capture all
> stations including ABC and SBS stations. However, when I put both of
> them in at once, only one works correctly. The appears to to install
> properly in the Mythtv backend setup, but behaves as if the aerial
> isn't connected - regardless of how the aerial is connected to it
> (directly, via an external splitter, or from the passthrough of the
> other card). I can make both cards act this way, but can't get both of
> them working simultaneously. Any ideas. A potential problem with
> getting these cards working is they have to be in neighbouring slots
> and see to generate a lot of heat, which I am a bit worried about...

G'Day John,

Whilst I can not offer any real help, I have 3 Twinhan and 1 Technisat
AirStar 2 cards in my main system.  I find that most times after a
reboot I need to force the AirStar card to tune to a channel.  I do this
through the frontend, select the card, and then just keep changing
channels until it finally locks.  Once it has locked, it works
flawlessly on all channels until the next reboot.  I actually find that
the AirStar gets a much stronger signal lock than the Twinhan cards, but
do not like the fact that it needs to be manually tuned after each reboot.

I do not have a problem with the ABC, but as I have read in another
response, I am using a different transmitter, as I live in Tuggeranong.

I have however recently moved here from QLD, and for an unknown reason
lost SBS a few months before the move, and nothing would allow me to
lock back onto the channel.

My main MythTV box is a Gentoo system, but i have been testing and
settign  up for others MythBuntu 8 and 9 systems.

None of this probably helps much, but you never know.  Maybe you could
move to the south side.  :)

Cheers,
Jeff.