[clug] Being polite on the list - or: Geek Feminism 101

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 02:16:00 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM, David Tulloh<david at tulloh.id.au> wrote:
> > Jack Kelly wrote:
> >> I'm offended by that*.
> >> -snip-
> > This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I shouldn't send emails late when
> tired.
> >
> > For some reason I read the original post as, "What is the opposite of
> > feminism?"... or some equivalent.  Which leads you off on all sorts of
> > wonderful different paths depending on what you opposite.
>
> No worries. I wasn't actually offended, I just found it a useful
> example to use in an examination of "offence is in the eye of the
> beholder". Everyone's agreed that this thread's over, anyway.

Jack, David, all,

one observation that I would make as a long-time-listener-first-time-caller
on this thread is that it was interesting that an essentially nontechnical
discussion touched many people deeply. I'm not reading anything more than
that into it, just that it seemed to touch a lot of nerves.

Best regards, Andrew

--
---
Andrew Boyd