[clug] Being polite on the list - or: Geek Feminism 101

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jul 21 19:04:46 MDT 2009

Neill Cox <neill.cox at ingenious.com.au> writes:

> Because *she* has not been the only contributor and is not the only person
> concerned about this subject.  I have made almost as many posts in this
> thread.

*sigh*  Eyal, I also find your behaviour offensive, and very much wish you
would revise it.

> If your point is not personal then don't characterise this discussion as
> Lana's crusade.

I also find it objectionable that you are making this something personal for
Lana; had she not said what she has said I might well have said the same
things — including the "bingo" crack, which I quite like as a thinking point.

>> Lana, I could assume that having made your point you will move on but I
>> realize that this is only one step in your crusade. You want to improve us
>> (males). I doubt that this way will achieve this.

It is my opinion, Eyal, that you not only misrepresent Lana here, but that you
are thoroughly missing the point that the wide range of posters other than
Lana have made about the same behaviour.

>> Having perused some of the reference material (offered on the thread) I now
>> know better, to steer away from some discussions with some women. I
>> probably should have stayed off this one too.

For what it is worth, if you don't want to change your opinions — and you have
every right to hold them if you wish[1] — you can avoid a lot of grief for
yourself and, importantly, for others by staying silent on the topic.

Regards,
        Daniel

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au>wrote:
>
>> Neill Cox wrote:
>>
>>> Please don't blame Lana for this thread.
>>>

>> Why not? It was *it* who made the first 'guys' comment (hijacking
>> an unrelated) thread, leading to this current thread.
>>
>> Anyway, my point is not personal but addresses a common attitude
>> that I came across a few times. I do not 'blame' - I 'disagree',
>> respectfully I hope.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Regards,
>>> Neill Cox
>>>
>>> On 22/07/2009, at 12:20 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
>>> A lot of stuff that I have [snipped]
>>>

>> --
>> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)

Footnotes:
[1]  In fact, I would vigorously defend your right to believe whatever the
     heck you please, be it that Lana is on a crusade or that the earth is
     flat.