[clug] Cheap and good quad-port Ethernet adapter

Dale Shaw dale.shaw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 19:43:40 MDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pair of 4-port Ethernet (10/100BASE-T or
10/1000/1000BASE-T) cards to load into a Linux system I plan to build
(any distribution).

It looks like the gigabit Ethernet options are still really expensive,
and I'll only be connecting to 10/100 switch ports anyway, so
10/100-only is fine.

Other desirables:
- small form factor
- 802.1q support
- jumbo frames support

Are you using one/some of these cards in your environment? Any
noteworthy compatibility issues/chipsets to avoid? (I've read that
some of the Sun cards don't work in systems with >2GB RAM, for
example)

Lastly, if anyone has a reliable and cheap source for these things,
I'd happily receive a recommendation. 2nd hand is okay, too.

cheers,
Dale