[clug] Being polite on the list - or: Geek Feminism 101

Francis Markham fmarkham at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 22:05:20 MDT 2009

I think Matthew Garret of gnome fame put it rather nicely at LugRadio Live
2008 (
http://viv.id.au/blog/20080723.2001/matthew-garrett-on-ally-work-and-the-linux-community/):

"My major issue with the Linux community is that the Linux community is
very, very bad at telling people that they’re being dicks. This ties in with
what Emma was saying in her presentation earlier – “Don’t be a dick.”

You would think that this would be a nice, straightforward rule for people
to follow. But of course, we’re all geeks, we’re all completely socially
inept.

The real lesson to be learnt is that when people tell you you’re being a
dick, the immediate response should not be, “No I’m not.” The immediate
response should also not be, “I’m going to set fire to your face.”
[laughter] In itself, that is an example of being a dick. And as I just said
– don’t do that.

Those of who have, at various points in your life, been told that you’re
being a dick – this is ok. It’s fine. We all understand if you’re a dick. As
long as you’re perfectly happy to try not to do that in future."

-F