[clug] searching for a corporate search system

Steven Ring smr at southsky.com.au
Sat Jul 18 21:08:40 MDT 2009

Part of the problem is the way technology problems are solved in Canberra.

Invariably a business manager will say "We need a DMS so we can search our
documents, comply with government records management directives and do some
other stuff".

Spot the problem! The business is stating the solution, not the requirement.
Unfortunately, in response, the IT people generally go ahead and buy a DMS
which becomes simply yet another place to put documents. Better if the IT
people really listened to what was being said and analysed the requirements.

Searching for relevant content is the key deliverable in most organisations,
compliance with government polices is a secondary (but valid) concern.

Businesses in this town are waiting for a comprehensive solution to this
problem. We IT people also need to be better at analysing the business
requirements ... but that's getting way off topic.

Steven