[clug] change to non-member posting to CLUG list

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Jul 17 19:54:12 MDT 2009

Hi All,

I know this debate has come up before, and I know it is a hot
topic.

Because of the open posting policy we have had on some lists,
including this one, samba.org has been reported to some upstream
blacklists. Our ISP has asked us to fix the problem and we must
respond. We have had Spamassassin filtering mail on all lists for a
long time, but it has not been sufficient.

So I have now changed the policy to only allow member posting. Don't
despair though, the policy we will use is that if a non-member posts
to the list then the moderators are notified, and if the posting is
not spam then the non-members email address will be added to the
auto-accept list from then on.

This means a higher load on the list moderators, so if anyone else
wants to volunteer to be a moderator for this list then please let me
know. We don't want dozens of people, but a couple more would be OK.

Cheers, Tridge