[clug] Linux challenges

Wesley Bruce wesleybruce at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 15 05:53:58 MDT 2009

I'm a microsoft refugee interested in FOSS but not a programmer.
I'm new to linux and am finding that it ain't as easy as Microsoft.
Generally I'm running into problems with software that assumes a lot
about the users level of information linux/Unix. The Jargon's atrocious
and unintelligible and not in the glossaries or the help pages. They
always start and step B or C Assuming you know where to put code. That's
got to be A. For those of us that are used to microsoft's automatic
installation it unbelievably frustrating.

Where do you get a basic out line of what "Make" means and most
importantly where you type these puzzling little bits of code that are
listen in and around the make or build code functions in FOSS? Its
particularly a problem with dependant software. The writers of the main
software forgets to instruct you what dependant software is needed and
how to make it and if you need to make it. The writers of the dependant
software like Atlas-c++ assume their always dealing with people who have
done computing courses. The last computing course I did was back when
Bill Gates still owned money to people.

Does any one do house calls?

PS Hi Chris.