[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Jul 14 17:43:01 MDT 2009

On 14/07/2009, at 18:22 , Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> $ java -Xmx1024m -jar /home/kleptog/osm/josm.jar&
> $ ps aux |grep java
> kleptog   8150  5.4  2.7 1207916 28264 pts/1   Sl   10:14   0:00
> java -Xmx1024m -jar /home/kleptog/osm/josm.jar
>
> Sure looks like preallocation to me.

I thought half the rationalisation of the Java security model was that
you had to preallocate the resources so that the VM could stop
programs going rogue? At which point, what's the purpose of
preallocation if you don't try to sponge it all up at VM startup? This
part of the Java complaints in this thread has sounded to me a lot
like complaining that seatbelts don't let you move around the car.

Alex