[clug] Google compared to latest Microsoft evilness

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Jul 14 03:55:56 MDT 2009

On 11/07/09 10:21, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> What is the argument about? Last time I counted it was actually a fair bet
> to assume 'male' on this list. Regardless of what some of you feel, this is
> a fact. So I expect that whatever term we use most will read 'male' anyway.

Yeah, great way to make any women readers feel welcome - assume they're male.

> And to get a balanced (in a way) view of what people consider neutral, can
> we have some of the *female people* (this sounds very odd to me) say what
> *they* find acceptable and practical?

I think they - Lana and Jacinta - did.  I think you'll find they're the ones
who said "guy" isn't a unisex term, starting this whole subtopic off.

And don't think it's just women who get annoyed at the assumption that there's
only one gender.  I get pissed off at it too, and a fair few other Open Source
geeks that I know as well.  And I'm tired of the circular nature of the
situation - "we never get any women on this list, so we can safely offend any
women that might think of joining".  Personally, I'd like people to stick to
gender neutral terms, even at the cost of being overly formal.

Have fun,

Paul