[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Jul 14 03:41:20 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> You are aware, Sam, that there are a whole slew of systems that use garbage
> collection, and which /don't/ require this same preallocation, right?

Java doesn't (have to) preallocate. It just doesn't free memory again.

> Lisp was generally running the generational garbage collector based on memory
> allocations some thirty years ago, giving good, solid results without having
> to either preallocate the heap, or run into memory pressure first.

I didn't know that. Yet again, Lisp has beaten the rest of the world by
thirty years.

> Surely I must be misunderstanding you, right?

Partly, I think, but I also think I've been showing my ignorance. I've
also realised I must sound like a raving Java fanboy and I hate that so
I'll stop.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au