[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Jul 14 03:08:47 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> Generally speaking, that same smoothness follows into other language bindings,
> although I have never tried Qt/Java[2], which I feel speaks volumes about the
> good API design that Trolltech put into the language.

I haven't tried Java bindings for Qt before, but I've just added it to
my list of things to track down and try.

> We have, here at work, some 100K-line projects that beg to differ.

You're a braver man than I. Or maybe I'm just not smart enough. I need
something equivalent to Eclipse or NetBeans.

> Our experiences obviously differ significantly; one of the reasons we use Perl
> here is that it provides a very broad, but sensibly managed and easy to
> integrate library of things.
>
> Now, sure, a non-trivial portion of CPAN is crap, but at least it is there in
> one place where you can go, not scattered around the Internet at random, or,
> y'know, missing entirely.

In the Java world we have Maven, which helps with some of the problems.

> [2]  ...assuming it exists, of course, which I have never looked to find out
>      either.  Java, not really in my ballpark other than as a sysadmin.

I've found three projects so far, all various stages of abandonment. :(

Maybe a community will form around Qt Jambi when Nokia cuts it loose.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au