[clug] Choice of (two) 3G modems?

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:43:43 MDT 2009

> Looked around for a 3G broadband wireless modem thingy.
Huawei E220 modem from Optus 3G works fine. So does a Nokia N95 with
USB mode set to 'PC Suite' as well as over bluetooth (though last time
I looked at Network Manager I couldn't find a way to configure
bluetooth modems so I'm still using the old traditional ppp scripts
and rfcomm for the bluetooth link. Network manager worked with both
using USB just fine).

I hear that the latest modems that Telstra are bundling aren't working
so well with Linux. Dunno if that has been resolved yet.

No idea what Three do - their coverage, or lack there of, mandated
that I didn't bother doing any research into them.

Optus also provides publicly addressable IPs to their 3G customers by
default which AFAIK Vodafone don't unless you call them begging and
screaming having sacrificed a goat or two and chant the secret
incantation to them (according to whirlpool, so it must be true).
Since you don't control the router that's got you NATed you can't
enable port forwarding either. I would assume (but don't quote me
because I don't know) that Virgin would also provide public IPs.

> I have one of these as well, although through Virgin* (who use the Optus network)
* Who are Optus' budget brand. T&C were identical word for word when I
looked into them with one exception: Virgin makes it very clear that
they are willing and able to cap p2p traffic (reports on whether they
actually do are varied). If you plan on downloading ISOs through
bittorrent through the link you may like to take that into
considderation against the extra cost, though I gather since you're
looking at the prepaid options that is unlikely to factor in.

Cheers,
-Ian

--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/