[clug] Choice of (two) 3G modems?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Jul 12 23:26:31 MDT 2009

matt andrews wrote:
> 2009/7/13 Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>:
>> Brad Hards wrote:
>>> Looked around for a 3G broadband wireless modem thingy.
>>>
>>> The best (most sane, as long as you don't "roam") option for my usage
>>> looks like the three/vodaphone prepaid option.
>>>
>> I have the curvy plastic USB modem thingie from Vodafone (a Huawei K3715
>> apparently). It is fully of awesome (just works). I agree on the pricing,
>> Vodafone was a clear winner when I researched it all in January.
>
> Worth also taking a look at Virgin; when I looked at it around March,
> for roaming between metropolitan areas, prepaid blocks on Virgin
> seemed to be the best deal.

Oh, that's the other thing... I'm on a contract, but Vodafone offers
prepaid now. I'd be tempted by that if I wasn't already committed to
something. The obvious advantage being that when you run out of data you
buy another cheap block, instead of being charged some sort of punitive
rate. Additionally, unused traffic just rolls over to the next month,
which isn't true of the plans.

Mikal