[clug] Choice of (two) 3G modems?

Ric de France rdefrance at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 22:57:06 MDT 2009

Hey Jack / Brad,

2009/7/13 Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Brad Hards<bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looked around for a 3G broadband wireless modem thingy.
> >
> > The best (most sane, as long as you don't "roam") option for my usage
> looks
> > like the three/vodaphone prepaid option.
> >
> > The modem options are Huawei E160G and ZTE MF627. Internet searching says
> > "probably" for both on Linux, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried
> them
> > (ideally on three/vodaphone) with a recent-ish linux distro.
>
> Hello fellow sentient,
>
> I think my dad's got the vodaphone huawei one. Not sure if it's the
> exact same, but I plugged it into a machine with a fairly recent
> ubuntu install and networkmanager discovered it with minimal fuss.
>
> -- Jack

The offering from Optus 3G works on the latest of Ubuntu 9.04 - either the
USB dongle option, or the desktop wireless router hardware options. I think
it also worked with 8.10 - but that's from memory, and not currently
confirmed.

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)