[clug] what to do... what to do?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Jul 12 20:29:30 MDT 2009

2009/7/13 Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com>:
> Someone has just given me a 32Gb Sandisk Cruzer U3 usb thingy because
> the built in U3 software does not work with his new Mac.  Some deft
> google-fu reveals the built in U3 software does not work with Linux
> either.  But hey - free hardware is free hardware...  So, the question
> is, what is the most useful Linux (ubuntu) thing one can do with a
> large USB thumb drive, besides storing files on it?  Filling it with
> music and videos seems like such a waste of technology.

Ahh, what do you mean the U3 software doesn't work on it? The device
emulates a CD device which shows that software, but the actual 32GB
storage should work perfectly.

I mean, I know the software is Windows only and won't work on Linux or
Mac, but you don't need the software at all. AFAIK, is just for some
dodgy encryption or something. You don't need that software at all,
and if you run that software under Windows you can tell it to never
pop up ever again.

-c