[clug] what to do... what to do?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:13:37 MDT 2009

Someone has just given me a 32Gb Sandisk Cruzer U3 usb thingy because
the built in U3 software does not work with his new Mac.  Some deft
google-fu reveals the built in U3 software does not work with Linux
either.  But hey - free hardware is free hardware...  So, the question
is, what is the most useful Linux (ubuntu) thing one can do with a
large USB thumb drive, besides storing files on it?  Filling it with
music and videos seems like such a waste of technology.

Is it possible to turn it into a plug'n go Linux virus that will
subvert and take contol of any machine it comes into contact with?
Can it be made into a complete bootable ubuntu (or other?) instance
loaded with favourite apps that will run as a parasite without
trashing the native OS of the host machine?  (already made a small
'USB startup-disk' but I am after something an little more
intimidating.)

Is there a Linux equivalent of 'Portable Apps' I should be looking at?

Or is there something 'better' the drive could be used for?  'Cool' is
good too...

In terms of syncing stuff between different computers and
applications, are there preferred solutions and must-haves that this
non-gender or species specific list would recommend?

The underlying question to all this is, is it possible yet to wander
around with nothing more that a USB drive full of FOSS in search of a
box to plug it into, or do we still have to assume the identity and
presence of another OS?

As a starting point, I regard Wine as an admission of defeat.

jim