[clug] What? There's women on this list! Since when?!

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 01:58:35 MDT 2009

2009/7/12 Francis James Whittle <fudje at grapevine.net.au>

> On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 15:29 +1000, Neill Cox wrote:
>

> > I actually took the statement at face value.  If Lana doesn't want to
> > be called a guy that's fair enough.
> >
> > I don't see any problem in using inclusive language - it may take a
> > little more effort but given how badly skewed the FOSS gender balance
> > is the effort is well worth it.
>
> Interesting point of trivia: The word ‘guy’ used as an improper noun was
> first introduced to the English language to refer to an effigy of Guy
> Fawkes.  Not only women have a right to be offended by its application.

Neill and Francis - thank you :)

Cheers! Lana

The artist doesn't have time to listen to the critics. The ones who want to
be writers read the reviews, the ones who want to write don't have the time
to read reviews.
 - William Faulkner

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more