[clug] What? There's women on this list! Since when?!

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Jul 11 21:52:00 MDT 2009

Francis James Whittle <fudje at grapevine.net.au> writes:

> No but seriously let's not jump on this whole "zOMG there's sexism in the
> free software community!!!!!!!!!!1!!111oneoneeeleven" bandwagon.  Yes, the
> Ruby on Rails presentation was despicable, but there's such a thing as
> taking political correctness too far, and pretentious things like
> complaining because you personally can't handle someone using a word like
> "guys" as a gender-neutral term is well past it.

I find the use of the term "guys" to refer to a group of people that, with any
luck, will continue to include women.  This is not simple Lana objecting, and
is not restricted to only women.

So, I would also find it nice if people here could take the time and trouble
to avoid gender-biased terminology.

(and, yes, this is hardly at the same level as the porn-is-funny presentation,
 but personally, I prefer to win for some reason *other* than the bar being so
 low that it is found somewhere underground. ;)

> This post brought to you from the campaign against marginalisation of white
> Anglo-Saxon males.

I sympathise little with this position; gender-neutral terminology in no way
marginalises men of any colour, creed or religion.

Regards,
        Daniel