[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Francis James Whittle fudje at grapevine.net.au
Sat Jul 11 08:43:59 MDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 10:28 +1000, jhock wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 12:13 +1000, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I'm not involved in the Java world, but perhaps someone here is. Why do
> > you think Java has not taken off for Linux Desktop apps? What needs to
> > happen for it to do so?
>
> I have recently done a java programming language course.  The general
> consensus of the people at that course (including the lecturer) is that
> people prefer to use java to develop web applications instead of
> desktops applications because the software is considered an enterprise
> solution and not a desktop solution.

Also because Java becomes remarkably clunky when you start building
something the size of a desktop application.  It's better than it used
to be.

> I found out, at the course, that PERL is much easier to use. ;--)

But of course.  Perl (please don't capitalise every letter) is our
precious whore.  A gem among programming languages that will sell itself
as easy for any purpose.  Just make sure you're not going to get an STD
when you use it.

> John

My personal feeling is that Java adds another layer of indirection where
it's not necessary, and without advantages such as run-time compilation.
A lot of effort goes into cross-platform frameworks for architecture
compiled languages anyway, so what's the big deal?