[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 23:14:47 MDT 2009

I've recently done a lot of work with OSGi framework, which no one I
ask has ever heard of.  So in a nutshell an OSGi framework provides
support for modular Java applications (life cycle management,
dependency resolution, dynamic classpath generation, etc.)

Combine that with the repository concept native to Maven, you have a
pretty fantastic deployment mechanism.

The OSGi Bundle Repository is a small app that runs inside an OSGi
framework (inside a JVM) that behaves exactly like apt.  It allows
lookup of OSGi bundles and gathers all their dependencies when they
are deployed.

The best thing is that all that can be accessed by an application.  My
most recent desktop application was written completely in Java and
runs in an OSGi framework.  Unfortunately we made the switch halfway
through development which lead to some teething problems...

To summarise, I find OSGi fixes most of the problems discussed in this
thread so far.  It has been around for 10 years now, but is only just
starting to come into mainstream use (fingers crossed).

Ben