[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 06:22:00 MDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Sam Couter<sam at couter.id.au> wrote:
> Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Autotools support for java is nowhere near the level of C or C++.
>
> You're doing it wrong.
>
> Java is cross-platform and just doesn't suffer from the problems
> autotools solves.

Depends on your perspective. I consider automake to be a pretty decent
build tool, and if you were using it for java, you wouldn't have to
use any of the configuration stuff. configure would do little more
than check for GCJ and Makefile.am would look something like:

bin_PROGRAMS = foo
foo_SOURCES = foo.java bar.java baz.java
foo_LDFLAGS = --main=Foo

I still think native-compiled java apps would be neat. But that seems
to be just me.

-- Jack