[clug] Why the autotools hate? (Was: Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?)

James Ring sjr at jdns.org
Fri Jul 10 00:42:09 MDT 2009

Hey,

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Jack Kelly<endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:
> (I'm having a really bad day today, in terms of sending things to
> people instead of the list. Sorry guys...)
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM, James Ring<sjr at jdns.org> wrote:
>> Please $DEITY let Java never require autotools.
>
> I don't understand the hate for autotools. IME, it's the best of the
> systems that I've played with, both as a user and implementing build
> systems with them. I've also played with CMake and SCons, but taken
> issue with them and returned to the autotools.

I was not comparing Autotools to other build systems, and I haven't
used any of the systems that you mentioned. Autotools is designed to
assist developers in writing programs that work on many platforms,
whereas Java is designed to offer a single platform to which
developers target their programs.

> -- Jack

Regards,
James