[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 9 22:55:14 MDT 2009

I'm just an amateur Java programmer, so I should probably just shut up, but...

Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Autotools support for java is nowhere near the level of C or C++.

The equivalent for Java is Apache Ant, which is used on Freecol,
for example.  Most of the projects I see on sourceforge Just Compile,
without the need for a build system.

> gcj
> with the CNI could be fantastic, as java-the-language isn't too bad,
> but it currently needs work*.

> *Example: its printf-style formatter still doesn't support "%f". I kid you not.

This simply isn't true.  System.out.printf supports %f, as does java.util.Formatter.

I agree that the GNU implementation of Java is half-hearted, but
the Sun implementation is as open source as you want to get and
it works just find.