[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan.osullivan at team.mammoth.com.au
Thu Jul 9 21:40:52 MDT 2009

steve jenkin wrote:

> I'm not getting half of the question, perhaps you could clarify for the
> group...
>
>  To me, your question begs this one:
>
>  "What is the leading language used by Linux Desktop Apps now?"

If we're talking GTK (which I will, since I dont follow QT) then I think
C is the most common. We're starting to see increasing number of GTK
applications being developed in Mono and (particularly) Python.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion around the web in regards to "dont use
Mono", which regardless of my own opinion on that issue, prompted the
question "Well why aren't we using Java instead?"

Regards
Nathan