[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

Francis Markham fmarkham at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:00:15 MDT 2009

My uniformed two cents worth:

1) Native feeling GUI programming in Java is hard, especially in
swing.  While good GUI programming is never simple, C#'s GTK# package
has a familiar API for gnome developers and obviously integrates into
the gnome desktop

2) Up until the the release of openjdk, there was no reliable,
compatible java desktop that could be redistributed, gcj
notwithstanding.  I suspect the mono project would never have
commenced if openjdk was available at the time.

Hopefully now that the second problem is ameliorated, the first will
fix itself.  Does anyone have any experience using SWT on linux?

Cheers,

Francis