[clug] In Praise of Red Hat

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Thu Jul 9 17:05:13 MDT 2009

On 10/07/2009, at 00:02 , Al MailingList wrote:

> "haven't got a rogue ISO that's been maliciously attacked"? So if they
> put an iso on their front page anyone can download, I should be
> worried it has been hacked? I'm not sure I follow?

If someone else hosts a "RedHat ISO", chances are it's dodgey. Perhaps
it comes with a bunch of spyware and zombie processes running by
default. Who knows. You could spend your time trying to audit the
package, but who's to say they haven't included broken 'ps' and other
tools so you'd never know what your installation was actually doing.

What it boils down to is: don't trust people you don't know

Alex