[clug] In Praise of Red Hat

Thu Jul 9 08:02:22 MDT 2009

Paul,

> Sure.  Do that then.  No one, Red Hat least of all, is going to have a
> problem with that.
>
> (IMO) it's for this reason that they only offer the ISOs on their site
> alone, and only if you're trying it or already a customer.  Because to them
> it's worth protecting the integrity of that package - making sure that you
> haven't got a rogue ISO that's been maliciously attacked.  Likewise, it
> reduces the number of morons trying to get support out of Red Hat after
> they've downloaded a hacked version of RHEL (or been sold one by a dodgy
> vendor).
>
> It's important to come at all of this with an inclusion mindset.  Red Hat
> loses little from having CentOS around, and nothing that it cares to try and
> hold on to.  On the other hand, it gains a whole bunch of people (like
> myself) that started on CentOS and thought "you know, I can go and get my
> RHCE and work with Red Hat servers now that I've spent the time learning on
> CentOS". And Linux as a whole benefits too.  I had a rant in here about the
> 'exclusion' mindset but I think you can all sing along to that tune (as long
> as it's not copyrighted).

"haven't got a rogue ISO that's been maliciously attacked"? So if they
put an iso on their front page anyone can download, I should be
worried it has been hacked? I'm not sure I follow?

For what it's worth, I have my RHCE too, and I think their training is
very professional and the RHCE is a great exam. The issue I have is
that essentially, they're selling support, why not just admit it and
stop making it hard to get the software? It seems there are other
companies who manage to avoid the issue of "morons trying to get
support out of Red Hat" (e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid).

The only reason for CentOS to exist seems to be because it's so
annoying to get access to RHEL binaries? I guess asking it another
way, if I could simply access RHEL isos and updates simply, what would
be the purpose of CentOS existing? If there is in fact no compelling
reason, then it seems like a duplication of effort to me....

I guess fundamentally it seems there is lots of support (or at least
two people :P ) for their business model, and that's great. The more
choice the better right? I just find it a little puzzling is all :D

Cheers,
Al