[clug] Google compared to latest Microsoft evilness

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Jul 9 00:30:15 MDT 2009

2009/7/9  <wally at wic.net.au>:
> I fear this is where the translation was lost.
>
> As I understand it so far :
>
> Microsoft charge you (based on your hardware) for software  ..then offer
> free updates.
>
> RH offer free software then charge you (based on your hardware) for updates.

All the other stuff aside, my original argument was simply that Red
Hat restricts how you can run their commercial RHEL software. I wasn't
debating their support service or business model at all.

And they do restrict you, because you a) need a subscription, and b)
it has to match your hardware. And if you don't then you're in
violation of their agreement and you can't get updates.

That's all.

Running CentOS is not running RHEL. Doing updates yourself is not running RHEL.

-c