[clug] Google compared to latest Microsoft evilness

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:42:48 MDT 2009

2009/7/9 Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com>

> 2009/7/9 Boyd <boydwilding at gmail.com>:
> > This is not new, and it is not news either - 2003 had the same (or very
> > similar) limitations. If you read the doco (or the textbooks) beforehand
> you
> > wouldn't be surprised about this.
> >

> But you're missing the point of the whole article, which is revealed
> at the bottom.
>
> Nevertheless, I think Red Hat also does this sort of thing. Get the
> low end server edition you can only run it on a system with 2 CPUs and
> 8 GB RAM. Buy a higher support license and you get support for 8 CPUs
> and 32GB RAM.. or something like that.

Sorry, Chris, but you've got that a bit mixed up.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a free operating system - there's no restriction
on what hardware you can run it on.

That said, you only get the support you pay for.

So, I can download and install RHEL on a machine with 16 CPUs and 64GB of
RAM, and use it to my heart's content. When I call up the RH Support number,
they will provide support for up to n CPUs and nGB of RAM, depending on the
support level I have.

Support level information is here, in case you're interested:
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/purchasing_guide.html

Cheers! Lana

The artist doesn't have time to listen to the critics. The ones who want to
be writers read the reviews, the ones who want to write don't have the time
to read reviews.
 - William Faulkner

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more