[clug] Linux Google OS coming..

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 8 00:16:08 MDT 2009

Hi Ric,

Ric de France <rdefrance at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a possibility for the monetisation thoughts...

> People pay to advertise on Google's site. From that, you and I eventually
> pay for Google - regardless if we even notice the advertising or not.

Sure, and that's apparently 97 percent of Google's revenue -- those little
sponsored  links that I never click on (and neither does anyone I know.)  I think
it works great for their search engine.   But I think Google OS will have to
stand on its own two feet as a product in its own right.

So is Google OS going to be, ultimately, /adware?/.  Unintrusive adware,
but adware nonetheless?  Or are they going for the preload market on
cheap netbooks?  If so, Microsoft is on to that market -- their discount
XP licensing has really killed Linux preloads on that platform.

That's probably their best hope -- but if so, the Google component of the
OS probably won't be open source, as such.  Perhaps dual licensed...

I will wait with anticipation, anyway.  Luckily, Google seems to have rivers
of cash to subsidize things -- including, I just remembered, the Tesla
sports car line -- or otherwise, I wouldn't rate their chances.

Cheers,
Jason