[clug] Linux Google OS coming..

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 7 23:38:29 MDT 2009

Exciting stuff -- especially if Google can figure out how to make money from this one.  Sometimes I think that Google is the last of the dot-coms, reinventing everything under the sun based purely on how cool it is without any coherent business plan.  Like, what was the point of the Chrome browser when Google is already the major sponsor of the Mozilla foundation, effectively making Google compete for market share with itself?  And how on earth did it come to the evaluation that Youtube was worth /six billion dollars/.  And so on.

It's not like Google doesn't produce useful stuff.  Just used google docs for a project and it turned out to be surprisingly useful.  But we didn't give them any money for it.  I'd love to work on Google OS.  Just pessimistic about its chances.  Remember BeOS?