[clug] Wireles telephones for VOIP

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jul 6 18:01:41 MDT 2009

jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au> writes:

> I have recently moved to VOIP with IINET.  The connections seem fine except
> when someone calls me and I answer using the wireless hand set If I answer
> using the command phone connected into the router then all is fine, but
> sometimes the wireless hand set sounds all jumbled and there is no human
> speech audible in either direction. However, ringing out using the wireless
> hand set works fine.
>
> The display on the wireless hand set just went bung and I thought that it is
> time for me to purchase a new phone system. Hence this question:
>
> Does anyone know if there are certain types of phones that work well with
> VOIP or some phones that don't work well?

Generally speaking, no, they should all be fine.

> Has anyone used a phone system over VOIP?

Yeah, I currently use the second Uniden cordless phone system I have had
attached to a VoIP ATA, both of which worked fine.

However ... I would recommend purchasing a dedicated VoIP phone rather than
using a normal analog phone with an ATA (or plugged into the router), if
possible.

The Siemens C470IP DECT phone is fairly widely available here now, either
through Freshtel, Internode, or other vendors:

    http://shop.freshtel.net/home.php?cat=252

That is going to give you the best VoIP results, because you are sending
digital voice all the way from the handset through to the VoIP server.

Regards,
        Daniel