[clug] E-mail spam problem

peter anderson peterjohnanderson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 07:12:48 MDT 2009

I know this is a Linux list but its the only one that I subscribe to
that probably has members with the expertise to help with the problem
I am having.

I am receiving e-mails that are clearly spam but they are sent from
various persons using MY e-mail address.  The following is typical:

"Shonda Senoafaz" <peter.anderson at ...>

Now clearly these e-mails are not being sent from my e-mail account
but I don't understand how this is done.  I have the spam filter at my
ISP's site turned up quite high so I no longer see the messages in my
inbox but if I check "held messages" then there will be up to thirty
of them (all from different names but all using my e-mail address.  I
am baffled at how this is done and was wondering if somebody on this
list could explain how the spammers do this.

Regards,
Peter
--
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in