[clug] Hard disk destruction

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 01:09:47 MDT 2009

> I note that the melting point of Al is only 660 celsius, so even a
> fairly low-end forge should be capable of melting the platters, or at
> least distorting them in a satisfying way.

Well if you want to play melting alloy a far more "artistic" method
would involve getting your hands on a MIG welder setup with the
ability to weld alloy [1].  Then weld your name into the platters, or
be "ironic" and weld a bunch of 1's and 0's on it and frame it, odds
are you will get at least one of the patterns on the disk right. I
will punt that precious little data will survive such shenanigans.

[1] - I just happen to own such a device, in fact just about any MIG
welder over 150amp or so can do this, just change wire and change the
gas to something with a higher argon concentration.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)