[clug] Glue Language

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 1 09:45:43 GMT 2009

A quick experiment at indicates that my target audience find the
following has "too many brackets" :

(define (fact n)
  (if (= n 0)
    1
    (* n (fact (- n 1)))))
(fact 12)

However the following is "Oh! I see everything is a function":

sub fact( n ) {
  if( ==(n 0) ) {
    1
  }
  else {
    *( n fact( -(n 1) ) )
  }
}
fact(12)

Obviously the only real difference between the two is a small amount of
syntax. (You will notice that the second one actually has more
brackets...) This indicates to me I could build something no larger or
complex than a small scheme interpreter, such as scheme48 or tinyscheme,
with a different tokenizer and lexer. Unfortunately the creators of
these small scheme interpreters where not so good at placing comments in
their code. But, hey, who is ... ;-)

Does anyone have good documentation concerning have to build your own
scheme interpreter?