[clug] Re: Slackware session: was Debian session for any Choobs?

Adam Jenkins a_w_jenkins at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 1 00:56:34 GMT 2009

>Full Metal Gerbil? Ubuntu "is all about updates" but Slackware is better >because they don't update? What do you do for security issues?

http://www.slackware.com/security/list.php?l=slackware-security&y=2009
Slackware don't update for the sake of updating..  It's only for good reason (i.e. stability/security).

>I think this guy is suffering "second girlfriend syndrome" and doesn't >realise it (ie: your new girlfriend is better because *you* are better).

Er what?  I don't understand your analogy.
Ubuntu seems to have acquired the reputation of being almost as hardcore (+1 geek factor) as Debian, only shinier and with free media.  Otherwise it suffers from bad design, which anyone who has used a semi-decent stable OS like Slackware, or a commercial desktop OS like Fedora/SuSE would realise straight away.
But Ubuntu is good for people who are new to Linux, and the LiveCD thing is cool, except that almost every other distro has it now too.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----